Selfdeclaration for A2

This blog is brought to you by Drone Class, your drone trainer for flying in the open and specific category.

Before you can fly in subcategory A2, self-training and a declaration are required by EASA. You need to practice, but there is no practical exam. More about this in this blog.

Practical self-training

For flying in subcategory A2, a fairly extensive self-training is described in the European regulation (EU) 2019 947. You don't need flight lessons for this, but you can train yourself in controlling the drone. There is also no practical exam, so don't worry. Just practice and then you are able to fly in Europe!


After practicing you have to fill in a formular in which you declare that you are able to fly your unmanned aircraft. Sign this formular, print it and take it with you when flying in an European country (except the UK) of your choice.

The formular can be found in our digital learning environment.

Application for A2

When applying for the additional A2 certificate you are also asked to declare you are able to fly your drone. This is nothing more than checking a box in the online application form and then it's done.


It's really easy to comply with the requirements:

  • Practice with your drone
  • Fill in the declaration, print it and take it with you
  • Check the box when asked in the application for the A2 certificate

Sem van Geffen

Co-owner Drone Class B.V.

About the author

Sem is an experienced trainer/developer, with drones as his main interest. He holds the Dutch RPA-L license and the EASA STS theory certificate. His specialism is EU aviation law and he enjoys flying the DJI Mavic 3 Enterprise.

We'll keep you posted

Enter your e-mail address below and receive our monthly newsletter for as long as you wish.