Drone operator registration

This blog is brought to you by Drone Class, your drone trainer for flying in the open and specific category.

A drone operator registration number is usually required if you want to fly a drone in the EU. You have to attach the drone operator registration number to the outside of the drone and in some cases also broadcast it via Remote ID. In this blog, we explain all about the drone operator regitration number and how to apply for the drone operator regitration number.

What is the drone operator registration number?

When you own (operate) a drone, you need to register yourself and apply for a drone operator registration number. You can apply for the operator number in the EU, you will then receive a code by email. This is your operator number. Your operator number should be visibly attached to the outside of the drone by means of a plate or sticker.

You need an operator number when:

  • the drone has a camera on board or
  • the drone weighs more than 249 grams

Toy drones are excluded.

Do I need to use Remote ID? 

As from January 1, 2024, drones in the open category with a C1, C2, C3 and C4 label are required to broadcast the operator number, through Remote ID. You must enter the operator number in the software (flight app).

All European drone rules explained? Read our complete guide to flying a drone in Europe here.

How to obtain the drone operator registration number?

You have to register yourself as a drone operator in the first EU-country that you are going to visit.

For example, you are traveling to Germany, Austria and Slovenia. If Germany is the first country you enter, then you have to contact the German aviation authority for registration. Your drone operator registration number is also valid in other EU countries (Norway, Iceland and Switzerland as well) you visit. So you only need to register once.

Do you own more than one drone? The operator number is valid for all drones, which you own. Attach the operator number to each drone visibly on the outside.

drone registration number

Where do I register myself as a drone operator?

You apply for the drone operator number from a National Aviation Authority. There is often an online platform set up where drone pilots can register themselves.

EU citizens

You must register yourself as a drone operator in the country where you are registered. As an EU citizen, it is not possible to register yourself as a drone operator in another European country.

Non-EU citizens  

You need to register yourself in the country you visit first. The drone operator number is valid in all EU countries. If you visit several European countries, you only need to apply for the drone operator number once.

List: where to register as a drone operator

 Austria  Austro control 
Belgium Fgov
Bulgaria Caa
Croatia Ccaa
Cyprus Uas 
Czechia Úřad pro civilní letectví
Denmark Trafikstyrelsen
Estonia  Transpordiamet
Finland SkyNavX
France AlphaTango
Germany LBA
Hungary kozlekedesi Hatosag
Iceland Iceland Transport Authority 
Ireland IAA
Italy D-Flight 
Latvia  CAA
Lithuania TKA
Luxemburg  DAC
Malta TM
Netherlands RDW
Norway Flydrone
Poland Drony
Portugal  Anac
Romania  AACR
Slovenia  CAA
Spain AESA
Sweden  Dronarsidan 
Switzerland  FOCA

Do I also need an EU drone License?

In addition to the drone operator registration number, you often also need an EU Drone license to fly legally in the EU. The EU Drone Licence is mandatory for any drone pilot wishing to fly a drone weighing 250 grams or more. 

You can easily and simply get the EU Drone Licence online. You first go through our online course and then take an online exam. Once you have passed, you can apply for the official EU Drone Licence that allows you to fly throughout the EU. As soon as you have passed, you can apply for the official EU Drone Licence that allows you to fly throughout the EU.

Want to know which EU Drone Licence you need to obtain for your drone? Discover here here within a minute which certificate you need.

Sem van Geffen

Co-owner Drone Class B.V.

About the author

Sem is an experienced trainer/developer, with drones as his main interest. He holds the Dutch RPA-L license and the EASA STS theory certificate. His specialism is EU aviation law and he enjoys flying the DJI Mavic 3 Enterprise.

We'll keep you posted

Enter your e-mail address below and receive our monthly newsletter for as long as you wish.